Monday, July 6, 2009

Where Are You?

Ever come to a place and suddenly realize you don't want to be there? Or worse yet, you find yourself in a place you were specifically trying to avoid?

Many times our journey takes us places we would not have imagined being. The plans we make sometimes take us away from our goals even though we try to steer things our way. Why is that? When I graduated from high school I remember saying "I'm never going to flip burgers for a living!" and I just knew that was true. You know that is exactly what I was doing within a year. I ended up at a delicatessen making sandwiches, mopping floors, washing dishes, and oh yes indeed...flipping burgers.

God's plans are not our plans, we struggle and fight to make our way through life, but we often forget that we should recognize God's will for our lives is not always clear to us. I ended up working food service to learn some valuable lessons that I carry with me to this day, lessons about service and integrity. I would never have learned them without that stretch of my life being placed before me.

On a daily basis we must center ourselves to what we know is true that includes understanding that our movements and plans need to come second to God's will. Yes we still have freedom of choice and we may still end up in strange places. However it won't seem as mind boggling if we rest assure in the fact that we are exactly where we are supposed to be.

CJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have been in many places and realized that I suddenly didn't want to be there anymore. Before this time, I was happy to be there, I'm sure excited to be there, couldn't wait to get there, didn't want to leave, and couldn't wait to return. Then all of a sudden it happened. My mood became sour, I dreaded going in, couldn't wait to leave, and would rather suffer a gazillion bee stings instead of return. And I promise, each time that I have had this unpleasant experience, it was always God's way of "gently" saying---"Let us move on."