Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Living in the Moment

Ever have that feeling that the clock was running fast and the hours were just flying by? You take a look at your To-Do list and realize that you didn't even break into the top 3?

What about when we are anticipating something or looking forward to some particular event, time always seems to drag out and be as slow as molasses. Are we there yet?

The biggest difference in these two sensations is our perspective. When we get involved in something that is deeply engaging or highly enjoyable the time does not actually speed up. We lose track of the passing of time because our attention is thoroughly focused on something. We find this happening when we are working hard, extremely busy, or having a lot of fun. The next thing you know the day has come closer to and end and you feel like it was too short.

When we are waiting for something significant to happen, time of course does not slow down. Like driving on a trip to a destination which holds something promising for us, it is the anticipation factor that makes the time feel longer than what we can measure. Gearing up for an important decision, sporting event, vacation, celebration or job change can bring a lot of anxiety in the waiting because our minds are already thinking ahead of the moment and making the sensation of time seem to pass slower.

So today I am advocating one simple step to help us better handle times like these.
Live in the moment.

By living in each moment we can appreciate that the things we are waiting for will arrive in their due time. Usually there is nothing we can do to speed up that which is on its way, so take a step back and let things happen as they are meant to happen. We can also appreciate that the times when things are seemingly moving at a faster pace, we are indeed vibrant and alive. Whether we are busy with work or play, we can mark that passing of time with understanding that we are not just sitting idly by but taking part in something that involves us.

Wait for it, enjoy it, it's coming, it's not yet gone,
Live in the moment.


CJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was introduced to the concept of "living in the moment" when I entered my third year of college. By this time, I had become tired of the things associated with earning a higher education such as staying up late to study or surfing the internet to gather information for an 800 word essay. I just wanted "it" to be over.I wanted graduation day to be right now instead of a another year away.

But my perspective changed during this time. I was talking with a fellow tutor, and she asked why did I want to rush the experience of obtaining a higher education? She wanted me to understand that I was embarking upon an important journey--an educational journey. Before the conversation ended, she encouraged me to stop and take in some of life's moments along the way.

She reminded me of simple pleasures that admittedly I had long forgotten such as inhaling deeply the smell of a rose, wading in a pond of water, or waiting for an evening sunset.

It was only after hearing her words,did I accept the challenge of "living in the moment."

I no longer wanted to concern myself with the question of--"Am I there yet?"

I waited for graduation day. I enjoyed the time while waiting for graduation day, I knew that it was coming---I was, by all indication, living in the moment!